Saturday, October 13, 2007

Alex:These things get around, father. Two warders talk as it might be. Somebody can't help overhearing what they say, then somebody picks up a scrap of newspaper in the work shops, and the newspaper tells all about it. How 'bout putting me in for this new treatment, father?

Chaplain:I take it you are referring to the Ludavico technique.

Alex:I don't know what it's called, father. All I know is that it gets you out quickly, and makes sure that you never get back in again.

Chaplain:That's not proven, six double-five three two one. In fact it's only in the experimental stage at this moment.

Alex:It has been used, hasn't it father?

Chaplain:It has not been used in this prison, yet. The governor has grave doubts about it, and I have heard that there are very serious dangers involved.

Alex:I don't care about the dangers, father. I just want to be good. I want for the rest of my life to be one act of goodness.

Chaplain:Question is, weather or not this technique really makes a man good. Goodness comes from within. Goodness is chosen, when a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man.

It's choice - not chance - that determines your destiny.
Jean Nidetch

No comments: